Solar - Terrestrial Data

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Nikonists (or maybe Nikonians...?) ahoy!

I bumped into a cheap Nikon lens, the now discontinued 28-80 mm AF 3.3 - 5.6 G, on the eBay the other day and as I'm in need of a simple allround zoom for my D70 I threw in a bid.
I became the owner of the lens above for EUR 41,50 and when it arrived it was unused in the original box!

I mounted it on my D70 yesterday evening and though it was a little rainy I went out in the backyard and fired some shots:











The pictures are shot in mediocre light late in the evening at ISO 640, White Balance at auto, aperture preference, aperture set at  f6.3, tweaked only in camera, using my preferred settings regarding sharpness, color and contrast, no noise reduction applied.
The colors I got with this combination of lens and camera are as close to what i got 30 years ago shooting Fujichrome 100 slide film with my Nikkormat Ft2 and Nikkor 50mm 2.0

I must say I'm a little amazed what a second hand 6 Mpix D70 combined with a EUR 41,5 (USD 50 ) lens can do. Sorry D40, D60 and D3000 users, this lens does not work in AF mode, only manual focus on those cameras, but everybody else, go and get it if you find one!
Well it is as plastic as plastic can be and weighs nothing but it is sharp, good colors and fast AF.
I call it a bargain, the best I ever had... :)

Hans


8 comments:

E.L. Wisty said...

Wow, that's quite a deal indeed! Excellent colour and detail in those pictures I must say. If I wasn't a Canon user, I would most certainly get that one :)

Dale said...

Those are spectacular, Hans!

...coming from a photographer who uses everything on automatic on her camera...

Hans said...

Maria: Amazingly good colors and good contrast there is! And I'm sure that Canon has something similar to offer as well, one just need to find it :)
I have not been trying to do any nice compositions here, I just fired away from different distances at different focal lengths, far and close, just to see how it works from a technical point of view but that blue barrel waiting for some rain turned out to be a nice composition as well!

Dale: well... the technical properties are quite spectacular but the rest... naah...
"Everything automatic" is not as bad as it sounds for everyday shooting. It is "good engineering practice" for everyone to reset the camera to everything automatic when turning it off because if there suddenly is a situation, you just fire it up and shoot away before the event has passed. Then you can start to tweak your settings and proceed if needed.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hans,

I find that the best compositions often are to be found in the familiar, "ordinary" surroundings. Because you know them so well you have a connection. I'm a great believer that this has influence. In comparison, a picture taken of, say, a mountains and fjords scenery in northern Norway might look fantastic, but it's more because the scenery looks fantastic rather than the composition.

Vallypee said...

Really super colours and detail Hans. You must be thrilled! By the way, does it work on a D40, but only on manual? Koos woudln't mind that I'm sure as he loves manual adjustments.

I'm also an everything on automatic user, Dale, so I am humble in the presence of these technicians.

And yes, Hans, I'd call it a bargain too to quote who you were quoting too ;-)

Hans said...

Hi Val,
It works in manual focus mode on D40, D60 and D3000! But as there is no focusing motordrive in those camera bodies it will not work as AF.

Only lenses with built-in focus motors will work in AF on a D40, D60 and D3000

Vallypee said...

Thanks for the info! Still worth having whatever! It's amazing what a difference a new lens can make isn't it?

Hans said...

Yup! It's a helluva lot of bangs for the bucks I must say! :)

 
Click to get your own widget