Solar - Terrestrial Data

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Garage Rock or the making of the egg...

The first part of my project is now assembled and the testing and tweaking has started. It is incredible what soundlevels a 4x12 cabinet connected to a small 20 W amplifier can produce in a small garage. My ears are ringing slightly :) Have to be careful not to get tinnitus. The audio range is as expected and I really got the oomph I looked for in the bass region. Running up and down the lowest string on the SG-clone makes the sleeves of the shirt vibrate and all tools and stuff in the garage rattle. There are some extra noise and resonances from the backpanel of the box so I have to mount some bracing ribs on the inside to stiffen it up. Otherwise it is good and Lukas is amazed :)
I have not used any fancy stuff for the finnish, the outside of the box I covered with left-over glassfiber wall-paper we used in our house, glued it on and painted it black, the material on the front, protecting the speakers is burlap or jute fabric used in simple bags or coffee-sacks.
The logo: HAm with the arrow on the "m" (yes of course...) I added just for fun. Why "HAm"?
There are some reasons, my real name is Hans Åström and in this anglophile world we drop the "rings" and the "umlauts" so it becomes Hans Astrom. In the company where I work we use the intitial letter of the fist name and combine it with the initial and last letter of the last name = HAm when we approve drawings and documents etc.
The other reason is that I am a Radio Amateur holding an operators licence. An amateur radio operator is known as a "HAM" and that I am.
The arrow does not need any explanations in the Wholigan community but in my version it is modified to depict one of the common symbols for an antenna when drawing electronics schematics.
Now off to build the amplifier...

Edit April 25:
If somebody does not understand what Dale is talking about in her comment I show you this picture nicked from www.thewho.net:

I dont' want to see such holes in my speaker cabinet either :)

14 comments:

Dale said...

I wondered what HA-uparrow-m meant...I do understand it now. Very clever, Hans!
It looks like something we'd use as a brand for our cattle here in western Canada.
Also, I am very impressed that it's home-made. I was actually looking for the "Marshall" logo when I enlarged the photo!

Note: I do NOT want to see holes in that burlap, EVER! Do you hear?

;)

Hans said...

LOL Dale!
I don't think that Lukas and his friends are into the art of autodestruction yet. They can't afford it... yet! :)

grace said...

no not a good idea for your speakers!! He sure had fun though :)

Ooh maybe a video clip of the sound?

Hans said...

Grace,
Yes, he smiled all over his body after the first test :)
Good idea, I have to record an audio clip and publish it someplace. I haven't checked this out but maybe it is possible to place soundclips here?
Or I have to create an YouTube account and link there.

Hans said...

Oh... Grace, i thouhght you ment Lukas but now I understand that you ment Pete Townshend :) Yeah, I think he had fun but it all was very carefully arranged and he was very careful not to destroy the speaker cones and mechanisms. :)
The grille cloth was easy to replace and repair.

alegni said...

soon our neighbors will be referring to us as "the loud ones". if they don't already...

Hans said...

Yes, but the lady you spoke to the other day said she hasn't heard anything...?
Well, she may be deaf or maybe she was just polite :)

Vallypee said...

Lol Hans! By the way, I've finally seen IT!!! Yes, your final link worked and I've seen the neatly incribed d*ck on the lawn...very good, very neatly done and VERY clear, and may I ay, explicit ;-)

Yout amp looks set to be a beast!, but I'm sure after all this time and effort, you wouldn't even dream of holing it...in one....or even two!

Hans said...

Hi Val,
I had trouble to get the link OK in the comments on your blog but I'm glad you found your way to it :)

Dale said...

Hans, I followed the d*ck link from Val's blog.
LOL!

I really would like to translate Ingela's blog to English. It seems Babelfish does not have that capacity...

Any suggestions?

Hans said...

Dale,
Babelfish hasn't got any Swedish-English resources but i found one online dictionary here:
http://www.ectaco.com/English-Swedish-Dictionary
The problem is that you have to put in only one word, not sentences, translate it and thus it is very tedious.
Another similar resource is here:
http://www.lingvosoft.com/English-Swedish-Dictionary/

Ingela challenged herself to upload a photo each day and write a blog related to that picture.
She writes in Swedish but she is fluent in English so you can go there and comment in English and ask for a short summary whenever you see something interesting.

E.L. Wisty said...

I hope the neighbours are also in a sufficient distance so as not to be disturbed - or that you have a sufficiently soundproofed testing space. ;-)

That's a handsome piece of handiwork!

What's the next step? Going into business with fully handmade HAm amps? :-)

grace said...

Hello Hans...have a good weekend.

Hans said...

Maria,
You are so spot on... :)
Within some few years or after 40 years of working for the same company I intend to retire and then I want to do things I love to do and one thing is playing around with electronics, amps, and radio stuff. As i grew up with old fashioned tube stuff I decided to see if I still can manage to build and tweak such gadgets.
As tube amplifiers have become popular again by guitar heroes I really found this a good idea to try. Maybe I won´t create my own amplifier line but at least I can be of use in repairing and overhauling tube amps and stuff in the future.
Grace,
thank you very much, we are really enjoying a very special weekend as we drove down the west-coast to visit our good friends who have moved to live on an island called Nagu (fi: Nauvo) southwest from the city of Abo (fi: Turku)
This is a lovely place and such a lovely old house they moved to another location, rebuilt and repaired. We will return home on Sunday

 
Click to get your own widget