Solar - Terrestrial Data

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

A piece of my radio history


This "undressed" Luxor make, model "Harmony" emerged from deep inside a junkbox today when we emptied the last part of my old home. The last part to be cleaned and emptied was my old HAM-shack, a small room in the southwest corner of the new wing that was built in 1967.
That radio was the first radio in the house and bought in 1953. AM only, no FM.

 

This is not the radio that introduced R&B and R&R in my life but it made it even more possible to sort out signals out of noise after a lot of tweaking and modifying. My first own radio was a Philips receiver from the late thirties, but I was too young to start some excessive tweaking on that radio. This one, on the other hand, was put to severe surgery and tweaking during the autumn 1965 and onward. It even served as my first real HAM-radio receiver after I got my beginners license in 1969 because the shortwave band also included the "shipping band" and the 80 m. amateur band.




Digging deeper into the junk box I found the dial that used to sit on top of the frame. If you take an extra look you will find some blue markings on the MW-part, they were there in order to enable fast look-up of the loudest offshore stations (aka Pirate-Radio stations) on the MW-band: from left: Radio 390, Radio London aka BigL, Radio Caroline North and Radio Veronica.
It looked at me and said "Plug in the earphones!" before I threw it down into the container for metal and electronic scrap at the city dump at 2:30 PM today....

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

Sorry to be so late here Hans, but it was worth it! I enjoyed this post very much, and love your old radio innards. How sad to have thrown them away! At least you've got the photos though, and this post can remind you later on. Do you still do any radio hamming? I think it must be such a fun hobby and so exciting to find all thse different channels from all over the world. It must be hard to be throwing out all these tangible symbols of your youth!

Hans said...

Hi Val,
better late than never! :)
I still do some radio stuff whenever I have the opportunity, I have reduced my radio stuff to one single portable Icom, IC 706 Mk2 that works on 12V so I can take out to the summer house and throw some wires up into the treetops and get on the air.

That particular radio in my blog hade a wide spectrum of usage, besides being a good receiver it also was the modulator amplifier for my pirate radio station in 1966 and 1967, it was also the VFO and modulator for my first AM-station as a licensed HAM in 1970 and 1971.
When I later bought a good HAM radio receiver and a second hand transceiver it finally ended up deep down i my junkbox and other stuff piled up on top of it.

 
Click to get your own widget